The entire faction connections system is being overhauled (one by one). The game is moving from a single Connection quality per faction into the dual qualities of Favours and Renown. See Raising Favours.
More details here: 
As such, for factions which have already gone through this change, the data in this guide is no longer applicable.
A list of factions already moved to Favours/Renown:
This guide lists the best repeatable methods in London for raising Connected values for characters whose major qualities are 100 or more.
[Todo: include storylets available only at the University or Empress' Court]
Faction Opportunity CardsEdit
Each faction has its own Opportunity card which provides an option to spend a few Pence to increase that faction's Connected quality.
[Todo: Fill in table with these actions]
Opportunity cards associated with a particular faction.
If your Connected is less than 10, you can expend two actions and a Carnival Ticket to gain a certain amount of CP depending on the faction. This method can be used for all factions other than Benthic, Summerset and The Masters.
The Big Top (30 CP):
- The Church
- The Tomb-Colonies
- The Widow
- Criminals (10 CP, available upto Connected 15)
- The Docks (10 CP)
- The Duchess (20 CP)
- The Game (20 CP)
- Revolutionaries (20 CP, costs three actions)
- Rubbery Men (12 CP)
- Urchins (12 CP)
These are items which allow you to increase your connections by sacrificing certain items. All are available at the bazaar, but some are available otherwise as well.
Connection items can be bought at the Bazaar (or gained elsewhere) and repeatedly used when you have Connected 10–19 with a faction. This takes three actions and gives 75 CP in exchange for 150p worth of items (2p/CP at 25 CP/action). Most of them can be sold for either 250p or 500p less than their purchase price making them good investments for certain endeavours. However, there are, of course, exceptions.
There are 10 Conflict Cards which unlock with 5+ Connections of a pair of factions. These cards let you trade -15 CP with one faction for +30 CP with the other. Many options also give 30-100p worth of items and affect quirks. You can use these to increase connections with all factions other than Benthic, Criminals, the Duchess, and Summerset, for a net benefit of 15 CP per action (along with other benefits/detriments). This is usually more efficient on a per-action basis than using storylets (exceptions: Bohemians, Revolutionaries and Society), although it takes longer in real time since you actually have to draw the cards. The combinations are:
|Connected: 5+ with each faction unlocks|
|Faction 1||Faction 2||Card||Notable Effect siding with|
|Bohemian||The Church||The kaleidoscopic church|
|The Church||The Great Game||A contact in the Great Game has a tale for you||: one of each Second Chance|
|The Church||Hell||Brimstone or frankincense?||
: -3 CP Scandal
: +1 CP Scandal
|The Docks||Urchins||Youthful high spirits|
|Hell||Urchins||The Devil and the Child||: +3 CP Wounds|
|The Widow||Urchins||A familiar face by the school railings||: -3 CP Nightmares|
|The Constables||Rubbery Men||They all look the same to me|
|Revolutionaries||Rubbery Men||Amber in the well||: +1 CP Scandal|
|Rubbery Men||The Tomb-Colonies||A misfortune at the Carnival||Either side: +1 CP Wounds + 5 x Carnival Ticket|
|Society||The Tomb-Colonies||Going gentle|
Two more Conflict Cards become available with Docks/Widow 30+ and Constables/Criminals 50+. These basically give valuable items at the price of a huge hit in one or both Connected qualities.
|Faction 1||Faction 2||Card||CP Effects (Options)|
|Connected: 30+ with each faction unlocks|
|The Docks||The Widow||The Acacia and the Butterfly|
|Connected: 50+ with each faction unlocks|
|Criminals||The Constables||Crime or punishment?|
Raising Specific ConnectionsEdit
- Publishing poetry in praise of the Duchess gives 22 CP Bohemian and 10 CP Duchess which is best for grinding.
- Giving a public lecture in The Forgotten Quarter gives 15 CP Bohemian, Revolutionaries and Society costing 1 CP Suspicion.
- Completing a poem, novel, play, song, symphony or ballet at the Empress Court gives 20-75 CP Bohemians, depending on the specific work created. Some choices also raise Society, Revolutionaries, Docks, or Summerset and Benthic.
- Giving the Bishop a Hound of Heaven provides 50 CP and a Cellar of Wine, but requires a lengthy trip to Zee and at least 23 actions in the Labyrinth.
- If the Airs of London are right, it is possible to gain 5 CP and 22 Glim for three actions by undertaking the Temperance Campaigner's quick commission in Veilgarden.
- Completing A Rousing Hymn at the Empress Court gives 50 CP Church.
- Scout out the Fourth Coil gives 5 CP Church and 55 Cryptic Clues (but you can easily lock yourself out of this action)
- Cards: Attending a fête gives 10 CP Church and -1 CP Nightmares.
- Working diligently for the God's Editors gives 5 CP Church, -1 CP Scandal and Nightmares, and 3 CP Austere.
- Intervene to help the cleric choice at A tavern dust-up card at Watchmaker's Hill gives 15 CP at cost of 10 Cryptic Clues. (Only with no Connected Pet)
- Attending a church service is a reasonable way of reducing Scandal, giving 1 CP on a success.
- Selling information in the Flit gives 30 CP and 10 Moon-pearls for 6 CP of Casing.... Using a Gang of Hoodlums at a 100% success rate, that's 11.25 CP per action.
- Turning a blind eye on the Velocipede Squad gives 6 CP and 2CP of Dangerous.
- Providing training in Watchmaker's Hill gives 5 CP and 47 Piece of Rostygold.
- Dress up as a victim and wait to be stabbed gives 6 CP and 39 Rostygold, with rare chance to get a CP of An Annoyance to Jack-of-Smiles.
- Cards: Intervene to help the Constable choice at A tavern dust-up card at Watchmaker's Hill gives 15 CP at cost of 10 Cryptic Clues. (Only with no Connected Pet)
- Publishing poetry in praise of the Duchess at the Palace gives 10 CP Duchess and 22 CP Bohemian which is best for grinding.
- Cards: Freeing a boxed cat gives 15 CP.
- Dabble in the Great Game has options to increase it up to Connected 10.
- You can also gain a single CP by chatting to the tipsy spy in Veilgarden, inside The Singing Mandrake.
- Cards: Visiting the Wry Functionary gives 20 Cryptic Clues, 12 CP Great Game and 12 CP Society.
- Failing a luck check on the A parliament of bats card gives 8 CP Great Game.
- Courier work on your Velocipede gives 70 Cryptic Clues and 5 CP, up to Connected 15.
- Find a buyer for the information choice at Valuable Secrets card at Ladybones Road gives 15 CP at cost of 15 Whispered Hints. (Only with no Connected Pet)
- Cards: If you do not yet have access to Wilmot's End, then you can sell 5 Intriguing Snippets for 10 CP Great Game and assortment of secrets and rumors.
- Selling information gives 30 CP and for 6 CP of Casing.... Using a Gang of Hoodlums at a 100% success rate, that's 11.25 CP per action.
- Sell the information to the Embassy choice at Valuable Secrets card at Ladybones Road gives 15 CP at the cost of 15 Whispered Hints. (Only with no Connected Pet)
- Cards: for PoSI, bringing a certain document along for the Brass Ambassador at A Polite Invitation party gives 24 CP, but won't raise Talk of the Town.
- Public lectures in The Forgotten Quarter provide 15 CP Revolutionaries, Bohemians and Society each at the cost of 1 CP Suspicion.
- Blowing up statues/bankers in the Flit gives 50/100 CP, 200/300 Proscribed Material and 90 Stolen Correspondence/200 Cryptic Clues.
- Completing An Allegorical Satire at the Empress Court gives 45 CP Revolutionaries and 35 CP Bohemians.
- Choosing Comrades from The library roof at the end of the 'Term Passing...' story in The University gives 50 CP Revolutionaries.
- Cards: Choosing to take the Revolutionary's side at A scuffle on the street at Veilgarden give 15 CP. (Only with no Connected Pet)
- The next victim? in The Tower of Knives card provides 10 CP of Revolutionaries and 1 Criminal Favour, if you have An Annoyance to Jack-of-Smiles quality.
- The For the cause! option from A commission from anarchists - Flames gives ~20 CP (repeatable, I think, if you choose I have changed my mind at Plotting against the Masters 1).
- Cards: If in possession of Nodule of Warm Amber you can give away one to gain 1 Favour and 50 Nodule of Deep Amber.
- Grinding in Flute Street is significantly more efficient, but it is a Fate-locked area.
- Being erudite at the Duchess's salon in The Shuttered Palace gives 33cp Society which is best for grinding if you are banned from Court.
- Otherwise, you can help with someone else's scandal for 30 CP Society and 20 Bottle of Greyfields 1882, or go to afternoon tea for 10 CP Society and 84 Whispered Hints.
- Addressing the committee at the University gives 10 CP Society and 21 Proscribed Material.
- Completing several types of poem, play, song, symphony or ballet at the Empress Court will give 25-45 CP Society, depending on the specific work created. Most choices also raise Bohemian.
- Cards: giving someone a lift in your Respectable Landau gives 150 Whispered Secrets, 1 Appalling Secret and 20 CP Society.
- Saving someone from death by water on The Heron Tower card gives 30 CP and 1 Certifiable Scrap.
- Standing up for the Lady at A scuffle on the street at Veilgarden gives 15 CP. (Only with no Connected Pet)
- Minor progress: Attend courtly functions at the Court (3 CP)
- Almost every card in Disgraced exile in the Tomb-Colonies gives out some Tomb-Colony CP.
- Cards: Double-crossing him at The Tomb-colonist and the Footpad card at Spite gives 15 CP at cost of 1 Intriguing Gossip. (Only with no Connected Pet)
- Speaking softly while having Fun with the Fisher-Kings in the Flit gives 3 CP.
- Cards: Assisting the Urchin at A scuffle on the street card at Veilgarden gives 15 CP. (Only with no Connected Pet)
- Any option under Working for the Widow in Spite provide some CP on success, but different options are available, depending on the Airs of London
- The best option is Attend an audience with the Gracious Widow (if the Airs of London value is 33-67), which gives 10 CP Widow and 36 Jade.
- Helping A colleague with a problem gives 40 Cryptic Clues and 5 CP Benthic and Summerset.
- Progressing through Term Passing... during Featuring in the Tales of the University at exactly 5 opens up ample variety of storylets to gain these connections (cf. guide).
- If you already passed Level 5 of Featuring in the Tales of the University, then success on Make your peace with Dr Orthos option at Term Passing 7 will give 10 CP Benthic and Summerset, along with 10 CP Society and 10 CP Bohemian.
- Donating the finds from pursuing an Archaeological Expedition to either Benthic or Summerset awards CP based on the treasure's value. This, however, is generally a bad deal.
- Completing A Tale of the Future! at the Empress Court gives 10 CP Benthic, 10 CP Summerset and 50 CP Bohemian.
- The best way to gain this Connection is to progress through story as Master's worker - Suggest he take a more material view on The Loquacious Vicar's Great Work; Confront Unfinished pair for Mr Pages; Follow Mr Wine's order against F.F. Gebrandt; Betray the Cheesemonger to the Masters of the Bazaar; Frame innocent scholar for murder and have no guilt; and such.
- Siding with Masters (any of the two) at the conclusion of A Survivor of the Affair of the Box will gain Master's favor.
- It can also be raised to the same cap less efficiently by those who possess an Invitation to the Temple Club and 2500 Romantic Notions.
- You can gamble your connection through ...an incognito Master? option, but the (actual) odds are against you.
- Cards: A libraryette for Mr Pages lets you either trade 10,000 Proscribed Material and 50 Jade for 1 CP Masters and 10 Appalling Secrets, or 20 Collated Research, 80 Touching Love Stories, 5 Blackmail Material and 5 Uncanny Incunabula for 3 CP. The Proscribed Material is worth 400 echoes while the assorted items are worth 375; the latter option is therefore more than three times as cost-effective. To draw the card, you must have at least 100 Proscribed Material, and Connected 10 or less.
- You can work at Mr Wines' Revels - As hired help. At the end of this work, Mr Wines will present 1 CP of Masters of the Bazaar, but no more than one level. This is only for those with no Master connection at all.